Cerca nel blog

mercoledì 24 febbraio 2021

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated

#FOR FANS OF: Brutal Death
Burly Barnes crushes here as does the death metal (witch brutal vocals) dominates this entire release. The riffs are the highlight (to me), being a former guitarist I'm able to absorb what's being played here. I'm surprised that I didn't write about this sooner maybe 30 years plus ago since it's original release. I have nothing but good things to say here. I think that when Barnes's vocals changed on 'The Bleeding' that was it for me regarding liking the band from this era. I thought that Jack Owen was his strongest on 'Butchered At Birth' and here. Not sure what happened to him after that during Corpsegrinder's era. Aside from the fact that he joined Deicide in 2006 or thereabouts.

I don't necessarily like live tracks on albums with exceptions. And from my understanding, Jim Carrey's favorite bands (or what's been talked about in the media is Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death). I'd have to say that what's so therefore dominating on here are again the riffs. And the bass you can hear throughout. Tempos all over the place but all interrelated. Barnes just soaks it up alongside the music and gives them that utmost gruesomeness. It sounds like he's going to chug that microphone. If they had more stable albums in respect to the music and vocals I think Barnes would've been a longtime member. Him and Six Feet Under are pathetic.

They were one of the most brutal bands back 30 years ago and they're still kicking ass. Though the guitars are way different in turning and currently Corpsegrinder with the band. There's been a lot of debate as to who's the most likeable over the years. I'd say consistently Corpsegrinder has been more solid. But I'm still appreciating Barnes on the first few releases. There's a wide variety as to who you would choose after all this time. I'd say, Corpsegrinder. He's got range that Barnes never seemed to ever have. But on the 2nd and 3rd album, I like him. After that, no more. He's just not diverse enough. But on 'Tomb of the Mutilated' he tears it up!

The mixing/production wasn't the greatest, but I still like the overall sound quality that the band sets forth thereof. There wasn't a track on here that I dislike. They were all strong musical annihilations with the guitars shredding it up. The lyrics we never tackle nor do we want to tackle. It's just gruesome and vile. The music and vocals are what's to focus on. I got this on CD a while back I'm certiain that they're on YouTube. I don't know about Spotify except for the more recent albums. I would tell you to do the band justice and just get the CD. It's worth its weight in gold. There isn't a track on here that's not good. Check it out! (Death8699)


(Metal Blade/Rock Brigade Records - 1992/2019)
Score: 82

https://www.facebook.com/cannibalcorpse