Cerca nel blog

domenica 22 maggio 2022

Napalm Death - Diatribes

#FOR FANS OF: Death/Grind
A more experimental Napalm Death though I still like it. It's kind of the same way I like 'Chaos AD' by Sepultura though they're in a whole different genre. But the same idea. I think that they had a lot of good ideas in the songwriting but they totally abandoned their grind roots on here. Surprised that Jesse (RIP) did go through and play on this alongside Mitch. I supposed "slowed down" doesn't even come close to this one. I like it, but it's way not Napalm. If they wanted to abolish their metal roots (as I say), then they've done that here. It's kind of like Napalm meets Lamb of God or Killswitch Engage. I'm surprised that I like this!

I can see an alternative metal approach on 'Diatribes' it's closest to that genre far away what Napalm fans are really into. But since I value just about all genres I can appreciate this and give it a "70" rating. They probably wanted to do something they've never done and well that's what they sure as hell did. I like the guitar riffs on a lot of their songs here but you would think it's not Mitch and Jesse doing this. And Barney sounds the same just not like on 'Harmony Corruption', 'Utopia Banished' or 'Fear, Emptiness, Despair'. This is the newer Barney not as low in pitch nor as likeable (to me) as on earlier releases the ones I just mentioned.

I think if this were a different band then grind, death/grind or straight death metal you'd probably be OK with it. I suppose that they did see the negative press so they changed their tune. I'm still in favor of people getting the album but just expect something different. Those blast beats are nonexistent and the intensity is a lot less. They probably don't really play much of the material on this live (they didn't when I saw them in 2012), so it's not well received. There are a lot of changes on here and the distortion on the heavy riffs are there but not on every song the whole way through.

It's hit or miss if you'll like this or not. Since I'm a big Napalm Death fan, I accepted that it was something different here so I thought it palatable for me. But if you're looking to the utmost intense Napalm, search into the earlier releases I mentioned or with the old lineup. Don't expect Napalm of the old this is the new generation. Though on here, it's pretty alternative metal sounding. They abdicated their roots but a lot of songs are still pretty strong! I ordered the CD because I didn't get it when it came out in '96. I've been a Napalm fan since the late 80's. I've heard a big change in sound and this is a product of the new. (Death8699)