Cerca nel blog

domenica 28 novembre 2021

Blood of the Wolf - I: Law of Retaliation

#FOR FANS OF: Death/Black, Angelcorpse
A lot of tremolo picking going on and kick of the double bass drum, seems unrelenting! The vocals filled with screams and deep throat by Koniglio, their frontman. This whole album is intense. I'd have to say I enjoyed the entire onslaught of death/black metal these guys dish out. Reminds me a little of Angelcorpse, Perdition Temple and Belphagor. Not everything, just similarities but Mike (ex-Rellik) is somewhat better than these, in an album's sense. This being the debut release, it simply kicks ass!! It's just so intense and the riffs are brilliant. Amazing work here from all respects.

These guys tear it up and it's amazing some of these riffs go on for minutes. I mean the tremolo picked high-end riff in addition to the main guitar. Simply flawless pieces of work. 35 minutes here isn't enough! Great cover too of Marduk's "With Satan and Victorious Weapons." One thing about the debut (which is fine by me) are the lack of lead guitar. However, I feel that they make up for that in their compositions. Most of the songs are with repeated tremolo picking. But what sets them apart from the bands that I've mentioned are the vocals and their own utterly unique sound.

The music may sound like vintage death/black metal with its own kick and juice mixed with it. There's nothing I'd change about this release. It's violent and unrelenting. What great musicianship by these guys, all of them! The double bass drum is highly needed, but can cause a slight headache upon repeated listens to! I would NOT change anything on here. In some instances, I've linked Mike's vocals to sound a bit like Glen Benton during the 'Once Upon the Cross' and 'Serpents of the Light' days, but not entirely. There's a resemblance yes, but Mike is in a league of his own.

The production quality for an independent recording is sublime. You won't find a better sound to it than on here. Everything is mixed well and all the instruments with precision. I'd say the best thing about the album is the music itself. Original, classic, technical and intense! When I heard this I though "MONUMENTAL", by far. If you download the albums I&II on Spotify, you'll get a taste of both CD's. I thought this one was stronger than their follow-up. But both are resoundingly good! Buy the album, you won't regret it! At least show support for fellow Chicago metal bands! (Death8699)