Cerca nel blog

mercoledì 5 gennaio 2022

Death - Leprosy

#FOR FANS OF: Death Metal
Heavy AS FUCK! This is the beginning to Death's musical evolution in music. Pretty much a new lineup every recording (with exceptions). I had this album on cassette and later bought the CD to capture it on my stereo. Most people don't operate out of a stereo anymore, but not me! It gives 'Leprosy' better audio (to me). This album is heavy like I said but catchy. 'Scream Bloody Gore' was the beginning of death metal, better (in my opinion) than Possessed's 'Seven Churches'. And 'Leprosy' is another evolution to Death's music. Safe to say here this is the band that began death metal itself, arguably though.

This album the whole way through has great songs filled with Chuck's songwriting and lyrical concepts. The music fit the lyrics perfectly. But you see that he's getting away from the "gore" in his songs and putting more effort into the words. Rick Rozz adds a different element to the lead department, a lot of whammy bar solos that complement the music, ABSOLUTELY. Even though I like all Death releases, the earlier stuff namely this one is creative and innovative. But as time went on and lineups/musical direction changed Death turned from death metal to more progressive metal. Hence, moving forward to Control Denied and Death's main man Chuck died in 2001.

The vocals on this album go perfect with the songs (music). Rick brought a new element to Death, but not good enough for what Chuck's direction was going towards. Obviously, Rick was probably disappointed with his removal from the band going towards Massacre (his formed band). I don't think that this album really had many flaws, hence the perfect score. The music, leads, vocals, production and mixing all went through really well. I couldn't ask for a better Death release. They did better than fine here. I'm surprised it took me so long to write about this one, maybe it's bringing it out of the archives and revisiting the sounds.

I say, BUY THE ALBUM. If you're into CD's or Vinyl, better yet. This is Chuck playing raw but not so much as on 'Scream Bloody Gore'. It's in my opinion, better than their debut. Definitely, so this is the beginning of movement all across the board with Carcass, Obituary, Deicide, et al. This big move into the real heavy stuff thanks to Chuck. Even if people say Possessed is responsible for this rise in death metal I say no Chuck's band was responsible for the early rise in this genre. But what later happens, is the musical direction towards a more melodic sound. 'Leprosy' is vintage death metal galore! Check it out! (Death8699)


(Combat Records - 1988)
Score: 90

https://death.bandcamp.com/album/leprosy-reissue