Cerca nel blog

mercoledì 10 novembre 2021

Morta Skuld - Suffer For Nothing

#FOR FANS OF: Death Old School, Obituary
A tinge of Malevolent Creation sounding type of gig here, though the guitars are lower but equally strong. I liked this whole album, especially because it's an old school death metal vibe to it. Wisconsin based Morta Skuld have played alongside Death, Obituary, et al and they've been into the scene since 30+ years ago! I had the privilege to see a live performance of this for this album. They can definitely pull it off live! The album is a bit short, not even 40 minutes but it still packs a punch, to say the least! Decent sounding recording as well, definitely one of the better bands in this old school death metal genre that's still around.

Sounds like they tune pretty low, maybe B or C which gives it that thick heavy tone. The leads are pretty tight too. But mostly the riffs are what holds the most weight to it. People say the drummer uses triggers but maybe, it still sounds good. Maybe so to keep up with the guitars. I'm still not marking off points to this album if that's true. I think that they worked hard on this one, Wisconsin based death metalers pack a punch. And the vocals go well with the music. I thought them pretty powerful live but that's of little relevance as to what is that which we're dealing with here in this recording.

The production quality was pretty spot-on. I thought it to be really powerful of a performance i.e. the entire recording. The lyrical concepts were something that I do omit in writing about since many bands are piss-poor at writing lyrics when the music itself is good. So this is beyond the scope of this album review. Judge for yourself when looking at the lyrical concepts. I thought that they killed it entirely musically-wise. The guitars and drums are what stuck to me, not so much the vocals. Though they resemble a little bit of Brett Hoffman (RIP) via Malevolent Creation. Though they have their own twist to them.

I listened to this one on Spotify first before I purchased the album. It was definitely worth it! These guys knock how to kick ass when it comes to songwriting. I like their vibe and I got the same when they played here live. Definitely a talented band. And the music is intense. I think they have many more recordings in the works. Towards the end of their tour here in Covid-19, I believe that their next platter will pack another punch to it! I hope that it's as good as this one maybe even better! I'll keep a watch out for this band. They've definitely hit to a liking to them entirely! Check out this album! (Death8699)


(Peaceville Records - 2020)
Score: 75