Cerca nel blog

lunedì 21 dicembre 2020

Dark Tranquillity - Moment

#FOR FANS OF: Swedish Death
I didn't discount this release when I first heard it because of my initial reaction to 'Fiction' wasn't great, but 'Projector' my favorite release from them of all time. This I felt it a "B" average because there are some quality parts to it, it isn't just a waste of $20. I thought that the vocals were solid (as always) though the guitar riffs are a little iffy. However, I was glad to get this recommendation from a long time friend of mine. I thought that the melodic parts were cool, even though Martin is no longer with the band. I thought that it was an excellent that Christopher Amott (ex-Arch Enemy, current Armageddon) is on guitars. Not that sure of Johan, but both do a great job!

As to who did the most songwriting on this release is obligatory. The guitars are superb, though not as good as they could've been. But I liked the album anyway. The music itself isn't very heavy, just emotional based. Mikael's vocals are some of the best that they've ever been, maybe better than even my favorite from them. The keys blend well with the melodic guitarwork and more of a feeling-based album. Mikael isn't sounding like he's crying on the voice but he's definitely in sad-mode. The riffs accompany the voice and synthesizers with absolute precision. And the production on top of it all is way good.

It was striking that an Amott was a part of this album. Christopher was amazing in Arch Enemy. I'm glad he clanged onto this release. He's one of my favorite melodic death metal guitarists just as Jeff Loomis (Arch Enemy, ex-Nevermore). So as far as the lead qualities on here, they're superb. I didn't think Christopher would last as long as he did in Arch Enemy since their style was continually evolving maybe into something that he wasn't into anymore. But him abandoning melodic death metal completely wasn't the case. And on here is another example of a great effort he puts through with this band. I suppose they did the band justice acquiring him.

I was totally skeptical about this release being something worthwhile and yes it is worthwhile. So on basically blind belief I bought a physical copy of the album despite the putrid reviews. I thought that from start to finish this album has a lot of grit to it. And it's definitely feeling based which is what you want from a band like this. I don't think there's any song that I disliked from the album. It's not the best Dark Tranquillity to date from my viewpoint, but I did like it better than 'Fiction' of course. It's got a different feel than that album. It's definitely not an album to listen to when you're feeling melancholic. Great release nevertheless! (Death8699)


(Century Media - 2020)
Score: 76

https://www.darktranquillity.com/