Cerca nel blog

venerdì 23 febbraio 2024

Insomnium - Anno 1696

#FOR FANS OF: Melo Death
Good release, I'm just having some animosity with the vocals, not so much the music. So instead of a top rating, I docked some points away because I didn't care for the voice on this album. It usually contains a barometer into my writing up on the band. Sure the intensity is there, I suppose it's an acquired taste as to how much I'd like to enjoy most of this. The screaming is all right, just sort of growing on me, I suppose. I do think that the music is critical here, and in retrospect I think it's definitely the driving force to this album. They sure are an intense band that bring about their all influences, be it At The Gates, or bands within the melodic death arena.

Solid recording. No complaints there really, and it seems like the more I hear of the vocals, I like them in small increments. The vocals and guitars I think are the segue into a solid release that this album is and therefore accepting the most good out of it, I must do!

Mixing was also good, and if you notice that they've signed with a major label (Century Media). That got them deep into some fame that they must take home and the band shall flourish in this genre. They are by no means as good as say Arch Enemy's old work but maybe that's a band that's more established since they've been around in the metal world since '96, Arch Enemy that is. These guys are not from Sweden though, they're from a Finnish act. They definitely got some good positive ratings on this one, and rightfully so! The music takes everything away. They kind of make me think of Children of Bodom as well, in the vein of Hatecrew Death Roll'.

Love the melodic guitar, and the leads are pretty decent! Overall, this album (for me) went from when I first heard it as a maybe 75 or 70 rating to 80. The experimenting was all there and the moods with the guitars are ever so wicked. They're not totally in your face melodic death. They're pretty experimental in sounds, and it fits the mood if you're heavy into melodic death like I am. Definitely one of the top releases in 2023.

If you have a way to get a song or two to take a listen to, I think it's the best idea as to see if they're going to be on your radar. Check them out, melodic death freaks, or just lovers of extreme metal! (Death8699)